Need a fresh set of eyes to look over your writing?
Need your report checked so that it’s clear, concise and well targeted to its audience?
Need your tables, figures and references collated and cross checked?
Often when you have worked on something for a long time it’s easy to miss errors. You just can’t see them anymore and you can loose the sense of how a document flows or how it speaks to the reader. I know how it feels, after years of writing reports myself.
This is where I can help you – l can look at your work with fresh eyes and a different, new perspective. I’ll work with you to make sure your document or website excels at what its meant to do, connecting with your readers and getting your message across.
I offer a range of editing services for all your written work including:
- web content – see my page on web content
- marketing materials (brochures, case studies, flyers)
- student theses.
From a professional final proof read to reworking a complex document, I can help you.
If you need final proofreading of your content, don’t leave it to someone else in the office who has ‘good English’ – give it to a professional.
Proofreading is the quality control process for your document, marketing materials or online content and it is too important to leave to chance.
Did you know that research has shown that a single spelling mistake can cut online sales in half! William Dutton of the Oxford Internet Institute said “when a consumer might be wary of spam or phishing efforts, a misspelt word could be a killer issue”.
But proofreading isn’t just about checking spelling. I will also check your document for:
- Typographical or punctuation errors
- Consistency (e.g. in hyphenation, terminology, abbreviations, heading hierarchies). If there is a house style I will check for conformity.
All of these will give your reader confidence in your professionalism. Poor writing gives a poor impression and will affect your message.
Copyediting aims to achieve accuracy, clarity and consistency in a document. It does not involve significant rewriting, providing a single authorial voice or tailoring text to a specific audience – these belong to a substantive edit.
If I copyedit your document I will look at
- Appropriate use of language including grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation and clarity of expression
- Consistency both in language (e.g. capitalisation, abbreviations, hyphenation) and visually (e.g. heading hierarchy, page layout, tables, figures and captions). If there is a house style I will follow that.
- Accuracy including dates, quotations, hypertext links
- Referencing (e.g. cross-references within text, conformity and completeness, source acknowledgement)
When I copyedit, I will provide track changes in Word and, where needed, I will use comments.
Substantive or Structural Editing
Structural or substantive editing aims to ensure that the structure, content, language, style and presentation of the document are suitable for its intended purpose and readership.
Structural editing involves a more in depth or holistic review of your content. I will look at:
- the overall document structure,
- the language,
- sentence structure
I will give you written detailed feedback with suggestions for improvement. I will use a mixture of comments in Word and track changes.